No Purpose

Posted by Worldview Warriors On Sunday, August 21, 2016 0 comments


by Ami Samuels

After one of our moves as a family, I found myself at a crossroads. I was a stay at home mom who no longer had children at home during the day. I remember waking up and putting on my “I have no purpose” sweatpants and my “I have no purpose” t-shirt and getting my husband off to work and my children to school. After they were all gone I would shuffle through my day repeating to myself in my head, “I have no purpose,” so imprisoned by this thought that I didn’t accomplish much of anything.

One evening my husband, Chuck, came home from work and cheerfully said, “How was your day dear?” To which I replied, “I have no purpose!”

He calmly said, “Honey, you are a housewife. Have you seen our house? YOU HAVE PURPOSE!!”

I find what he said to be funny now, but at the time it wasn’t what I wanted to hear, even if it was true.

Soon after my talk with my husband I read an article that encouraged me out of this dreadful “I have no purpose” season. The article said that if you are a Christian, you have purpose. Our purpose, even if we have no other, is to share the love, truth, and light of the gospel with others. I became more involved with my church and started volunteering there and in my children’s schools.

If you find yourself struggling with the thought “I have no purpose,” spend time prayerfully seeking God’s guidance on how and where you can serve Him and others. And live life with purpose!

This forum is meant to foster discussion and allow for differing viewpoints to be explored with equal and respectful consideration.  All comments are moderated and any foul language or threatening/abusive comments will not be approved.  Users who engage in threatening or abusive comments which are physically harmful in nature will be reported to the authorities.

0 comments: