Live in the Giftings that God Has Given to You

Posted by Worldview Warriors On Wednesday, November 3, 2021 0 comments


by Jason DeZurik

Admittedly, stuff like the images above drives me nuts. Can we please stop with the labels already and with the victim mentality?

Ephesians 2:10 says, “For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”

I’m going to be fully transparent here. If ADHD would have been a label when I was a young child, I would have easily been labeled this and probably with at least 2 more H’s. I’m sure the drugs would have been flowing; I’m not even kidding. Years ago, I talked with my Sunday School teacher, and she told me that she would literally pray to God asking that I would not show up to Sunday School because I was such a “handful.” She was my teacher when I was about 4-6 years old. I was the kid that climbed onto the table, stood on it, and then would crawl under the table, just to have something to do. I am so thankful she didn’t give up on me, but that she taught me the ways of Almighty God though words and actions.

As I grew older, I learned how to make the most of my “energetic” personality, and I learned how to do many things at once. By the time I hit high school, I was blessed to not only be in many sports but was blessed to have coaches and teachers that allowed me to be in many things at once, while I was striving to be the best in all of them. Not only was I able to do these things, but I had to do all of my schoolwork as well, and I was the lead singer in quite a successful rock band starting in my sophomore year in high school until right after graduation. That band would practice almost daily, and for the time, we were pretty good, too. I still have a deep love for the guys I played with in that band, as well as all the athletes and wonderful musicians and actors I got to know. But I can guarantee you one thing: all of those things would not have happened without me being so energetic and ready to try anything, learning to not worry about criticism from what many in society would see as shortcomings. One of those things was a messy car. Do I like having a messy car? Heck to the NO! But it’s my car so really why should anyone give two rips? It’s none of their business anyway.

I have been blessed to have some amazing mentors and disciplers in my life to help me overcome the “start something and never finishing it” syndrome that comes with ADHD. I praise God seriously for them. Here are just a few of the people who sunk their lives into mine: Derik Hines, Marc Quinter, Chris Kneen, Renee King, Tom Moriarity, Debbie Hoppe, and June Krogstad. I am so thankful for these people from my past! All those people and so many more helped me to become the man I am today, ADHD and all. For those of you struggling with ADHD, do not let people look down on you because you might struggle with some of these things.

I still struggle every day; ask my wife! She knows and has learned to love me despite some of it driving her crazy. Be who God created you to be! Don’t settle for mediocrity. Find your strengths and live in them! My dear friends that are high in energy, YOU can do so many things that others cannot do.

Stop believing the lies of the world. Find true freedom in Jesus Christ, not in these lies of the enemy you see in the above images. Stop worrying about what others think about you to make you “normal.” Why would you want to be normal anyway? I’m dead serious!

I encourage you to stop making either ADHD or “normalcy” an idol that runs you, or that some of you reading this might use to run your child. Allow your child to find out who they have been made to be in Jesus Christ! True freedom is right there for you, friend. Grab hold of it!

2 Corinthians 12:9 says, “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.”

Friends, allow God to use the gifts and talents He has given to you for Him. When the world sees weakness, God can give you the power you need to overcome. Allow Him to do what He does in the life He has given to you. In surrendering your life in this way, you can be a part of God’s great plan in drawing people to Him. I greatly encourage you to stop being a victim and let God work through you in victory.

This forum is meant to foster discussion and allow for differing viewpoints to be explored with equal and respectful consideration.  All comments are moderated and any foul language or threatening/abusive comments will not be approved.  Users who engage in threatening or abusive comments which are physically harmful in nature will be reported to the authorities.

0 comments: