Psalm 56

Posted by Worldview Warriors On Monday, May 27, 2019 0 comments


by Katie Erickson

While scholars of the Bible do have most of it pretty well figured out, there are a few things that remain a mystery in the Hebrew language. One of those things is in the introduction to Psalm 56: “For the director of music. To the tune of ‘A Dove on Distant Oaks.’ Of David. A miktam. When the Philistines had seized him in Gath.” While we don’t know the tune of ‘A Dove on Distant Oaks,” another word that may have caught your attention is ‘miktam.’ That’s a transliteration from the Hebrew, because scholars really don’t know what it means. It could be a musical term, but it’s also similar to the Hebrew words for ‘writing’ or ‘engraving.’

But in spite of that uncertainty, this psalm still has meaning for us today as it did for David when he wrote it. As the introduction says, David wrote this when the Philistines had seized him in Gath. You can read about that part of David’s life in 1 Samuel 21:10-15.

This psalm is a typical lament psalm, and it follows the pattern of lament, trust, affliction, trust again, then thanksgiving. It may seem to be very back-and-forth, but we often go through that with our own emotions, don’t we? We have times of lamenting, then realize we need to trust God, then we go through something difficult again, then we trust God again, and we realize we need to be thankful for everything God gives us.

The psalm starts out in verses 1-2 with David’s lament: “Be merciful to me, my God, for my enemies are in hot pursuit; all day long they press their attack. My adversaries pursue me all day long; in their pride many are attacking me.” Obviously, David is fearful of his situation; wouldn’t we all be if our enemies were in hot pursuit of us? But rather than just being afraid of his enemies, he cries out to God for His mercy in this situation. The Hebrew word translated as “be merciful” can also mean to “show favor” or “be gracious.” David is asking God to be favorable to him in whatever the outcome of this situation may be.

The psalm continues in verses 3-4 with David expressing his trust in God: “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise — in God I trust and am not afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?” He admits his fear, but also that he doesn’t need to be afraid when he trusts in God. Yes, mere mortals may be able to harm the body, but David knows that God is in control of his soul.

What are David’s enemies doing to him? Verses 5-6 tell us: “All day long they twist my words; all their schemes are for my ruin. They conspire, they lurk, they watch my steps, hoping to take my life.” Clearly, these enemies want to harm David. They are not just waiting for him to mess up, but they’re actively scheming and conspiring to ruin him.

But David knows that he is not the one who needs to serve justice to them; God is. Verse 7 says, “Because of their wickedness do not let them escape; in your anger, God, bring the nations down.” We are often tempted to take matters into our own hands when someone wrongs us; that’s our natural human reaction. But David, instead, knows that God is the one who administers justice. He pleads with God to bring down his enemies.

Verses 8-9 continue, “Record my misery; list my tears on your scroll — are they not in your record? Then my enemies will turn back when I call for help. By this I will know that God is for me.” David knows that God is aware of his suffering. God hasn’t turned His back on David, even in the midst of this difficult situation. He knows that God is for him, not against him.

Verses 10-11 are similar to verse 4: “In God, whose word I praise, in the Lord, whose word I praise — in God I trust and am not afraid. What can man do to me?” We often need to hear truths multiple times before they really sink in, and David is no different. This idea of trust in God and not being afraid of man is for emphasis, to show us how important this is, even when it’s difficult.

The fact that these two expressions of trust are like bookends around the description of David’s affliction is significant. Our difficulties in life are always surrounded and overpowered by the character of God and His truth. Yes, they definitely seem huge to us while we’re going through them, but when we look at things from God’s perspective, we can see that His power is SO much greater! Even the worst that mankind can do to us is no match for what God can do when we trust in Him. Like David, we need to live our lives from a heavenly and eternal perspective, instead of from the perspective of how difficult our earthly lives may be.

Finally, the psalm ends with thanksgiving to God in verses 12-13: “I am under vows to you, my God; I will present my thank offerings to you. For you have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life.” David praises God for His deliverance and being true to His promises and character.

Where do you see yourself in this psalm? Are you fearful of what people can do to you - twisting your words, slandering you, or even physically harming you? Are you trusting in God in spite of your fears, and praising Him no matter what the earthly outcome is? Be confident that God will deliver you from whatever difficulties you’re going through in life, and He is always trustworthy!

This forum is meant to foster discussion and allow for differing viewpoints to be explored with equal and respectful consideration.  All comments are moderated and any foul language or threatening/abusive comments will not be approved.  Users who engage in threatening or abusive comments which are physically harmful in nature will be reported to the authorities.

0 comments: