Why Do I Trust the Bible?

Posted by Worldview Warriors On Saturday, October 14, 2017 0 comments


by Nathan Buck

This may be a very short blog post for me, but it represents decades of experience, research, study, and certainty formed from uncertainty.

My trust in the Bible starts first and foremost with the fact that nothing else I have ever read, studied, researched, or examined has ever passed examination. Nothing, not Eastern Mysticism, not Islam, not Hare Krishna, not Mormonism, not Jehovah's Witness, not Nihilism, not Gnosticism, not secular humanism, nor atheist philosophy, nothing has passed scrutiny beyond the most basic of tenets. Rational, philosophical, historical, archeological, scientific, and experiential proof is cohesive and astounding within the Bible, from the most basic of historical references to the most dramatic miraculous fulfillment of prophecy.

My trust is deepened by the fact that scientific method, social justice, racial and gender equality, freedom (from the most basic to the most misused), and law and order all begin with the roots of morality established in Judeo-Christianity. Then you add in those who grew up in cultures directly averse to the Bible, or those who have tried to prove the Bible wrong, who end up coming to faith in Jesus Christ. These are people like Ravi Zacharias, Josh McDowell, Lee Strobel, and the list goes on.

My trust is galvanized by experiences where I have encountered God and heard his voice. It is ratified by events that can only be explained by the presence of unseen spiritual beings (angels, demons, the Holy Spirit). It is verified by speaking or praying that resulted in miraculous emotional and physical healing. And it is multiplied by the lives of people who have been recreated from who they thought they were into who God always intended them to be.

When I read the Bible, the Word of God, I realize again and again that He is reading me. God's Word reaches into the depths of my brokenness and rebellion toward desires and destruction and calls me to freedom and life. I cannot disprove it, I cannot deny it, I cannot rewrite it, I cannot forget it, I cannot abandon it, I cannot stand against it, I cannot get around it, I cannot get past it, I cannot go beyond it, I cannot fake it, and I cannot escape it - BECAUSE "[His Word] is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account." (Hebrews 4:12-13)

Why do I trust the Bible? Because I have tried everything and everyone else, and His Word is the ONLY one that never fails. 

This forum is meant to foster discussion and allow for differing viewpoints to be explored with equal and respectful consideration.  All comments are moderated and any foul language or threatening/abusive comments will not be approved.  Users who engage in threatening or abusive comments which are physically harmful in nature will be reported to the authorities.

0 comments: