Heavy Burden of Debt

Posted by Worldview Warriors On Sunday, February 7, 2016 0 comments


by Ami Samuels

When my son was in elementary school, he had missed several days of school due to illness. He was terribly behind in his school work and we were discussing how much work he had to do to get caught up. He began to complain because he was feeling overwhelmed with all that needed to be done.

I tried to explain that he needed to work hard and it would eventually get done. The truth was that I was feeling overwhelmed, too. While he was grumbling about the workload he said, “Mom, I hate being in debt.”

I shared with him that debt is a difficult place to be, and it can be very overwhelming. However, once you find yourself in debt, it is important to work hard to climb your way out.

A couple of days later I came to the realization that I, too, was overwhelmingly in debt. Not financially like you might think, my debt was the heavy burden of sin.

I had gone through some major changes in my life and somewhere along the way I had slipped out of my daily relationship with God. I had stopped pursuing a relationship with him. I could make excuses and say that I was busy, but the truth was I found myself in debt and the weight of unconfessed sin left me feeling helpless and overwhelmed.

I was in spiritual debt.

Once I realized this, I began to attend church again and spent time daily in Bible study and prayer. One day I climbed out of bed and onto my knees! I was honest with God and myself. My prayer was completely from the heart as I confessed the sin in my life, remembering that Christ had paid my debt when he died on the cross for my sin.

When sin goes on and on without repentance, it starts to become a heavy burden to bear. We can begin to feel that it is hard to get out from under it, just like a debt. If you find yourself feeling separated from God and burdened by sin, go to him in prayer, confess your sin, and turn from it. Lay down the debt of sin in your life daily.

This forum is meant to foster discussion and allow for differing viewpoints to be explored with equal and respectful consideration.  All comments are moderated and any foul language or threatening/abusive comments will not be approved.  Users who engage in threatening or abusive comments which are physically harmful in nature will be reported to the authorities.

0 comments: