It’s a Marathon, Not a Sprint

Posted by Worldview Warriors On Wednesday, May 9, 2012 4 comments


I have never been a person to participate in long events. In high school, I ran track and even though I wasn’t the fastest athlete on the track, I was always in the short distances like the 100 meter dash or the 200 meters. I would be a part of a relay team like the 4x100 or the 4x200. I just never really enjoyed long distance running.

For any sport I was in, I always loathed the time in practice when we would have to run for long distances or do some sort of drill to build up endurance. My attitude has always been, start faster than the other guy and hopefully I have a big enough lead to win in the end.

A few years ago I realized how much I had brought that frame of mind into my life. My friend, basketball coach, and fellow Christ follower, Shane Adams has helped me to realize how much worth is in working hard in all that you do and never being okay with mediocrity. Even in practice. Even in the small menial tasks in life. We must always be ready to give our very best in all that we do. Shane has helped me to understand the concept of, “Life is a marathon, not a sprint.”

The children’s story of, The Tortoise and The Hare has a lot of truth in it too. Oh sure, the hare in the story got all conceited and arrogant and he should have easily won the race but the tortoise never gave up. Even though the odds were certainly against him. He just kept plodding along taking one small, slow step at a time.

It’s a lot like our walk with God. The only difference is we need to give Him the praise and glory He deserves no matter if we win or lose. No matter if our dreams come true or not. Why? Without God, you wouldn’t even be breathing right now. I wouldn’t even be writing this. You wouldn’t be reading this right now.

I think many of us who are followers of Jesus Christ forget who the power comes from. It is not from us but from God. From the Holy Spirit. God is loving and gracious to give us dreams and goals that He wants us to accomplish but many times we try and trump God and His plan for the life He has given to each one of us with our own desires. We forget that just because we want to accomplish something doesn’t mean it is God’s will for us to accomplish it. And when we are outside of God’s will that is called something that we are not to do. That act and word is, sin.

I am not writing this to be a “downer” for anyone, In fact I am hoping to do exactly the opposite. If you know what God’s plan is for the life that He has given to you than start doing what He has called you to do. If you are still wondering, “God, what plans do you have for this life you’ve given me?” then keep asking and listening for the voice of the Spirit. Keep pursuing the Holy Spirit in all that you do. In fact, this life is a marathon not a sprint.

At this time of year so many students are asking, “Now what?”
Seek out God and do His will. Is it hard to distinguish what His will is? Sometimes, but I encourage you get into God’s Word and seek Him out. Pray and ask for guidance from the Holy Spirit. Talk to people you know, who are followers of Christ, and ask them to pray for you too. In this way you should be able to find the direction that God desires.

1 Corinthians 9:24 - Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

For further study: 1 Corinthians 9: 19 – 27 read the above scripture in context.
Also, read about spiritual gifts too in 1 Corinthians 12:1 - 11

4 comments:

Ragnor Relay said...

Marathon is really a fun activity. I have tried joining this race before and I find it as an enjoying one.

Spartan ab workout said...

I love doing a marathon. It burns my fats.

Clara said...

Having recently begun running half marathons, I think this is an incredibly accurate depiction of what we as Christians so frequently do in our faith walks. To further your metaphor, we often attend conferences, retreats, concerts, or even worship services to get the thrill, joy, and fulfillment of the 'sprint.' We resolve to live for Him because of the way we are feeling at the time and we attempt to change our lives or get rid of our sinful ways because we think that's what would bring us closer to Him at the time, and subsequently, our ‘sprint’ is finished... and then, slowly but surely, we fall back into our old ways, our old habits, our old paths because we didn’t train well enough to complete the ‘marathon’ – our brief speed and super devotion to the Lord didn’t pan out as well in the end as we thought it would, and we’re left in a struggle once again. We must, instead, train as you said for the ‘marathon.’

Training for a marathon (or a half, in my experience) is grueling and requires constant vigilance, attention and devotion and that (sans the ‘grueling’ part) should be what our walk with Christ is really like. We should constantly be fueling that fire, feeding our spiritual needs and building our stamina so that we can withstand the attacks of the Enemy.

I think you’re spot on too with your statements about dreams and goals. I know that having a plan and taking pride in accomplishments is something that I constantly struggle with, although I’m attempting to make a concerted effort to do otherwise and to follow what His plans for me are. But, much like a marathon, it takes constant dedication and attention.

A verse I draw on often is Hebrews 12:1-2 – “Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

Jason DeZurik said...

Thank you Clara for those kind words and words of encouragement! I am also excited to hear how you do in your half-marathon. Focus on Christ today sister.