Who Are You, Christian?

Posted by Worldview Warriors On Sunday, May 17, 2015 0 comments

by Ami Samuels

Recently in a social setting I met someone new, and I realized that that I only knew a few things about this person and they only knew a few things about me. One of the things they knew about me was that I am a Christian. I thought about how I would respond if they asked me “Who are you, Christian?”

What does it mean to be a Christian? I first thought about how knowing Jesus has changed my whole world. When I understood that Jesus died on the cross for my sins and that he loves me unconditionally, that he has a purpose and a plan for my life, that he gives me hope and a future, it changed me from the inside out. I have confidence in who I am in Christ, and I am passionate about sharing Jesus and his love with others.

When people look at me and wonder, “Who are you, Christian?” I hope that they see Jesus’ character reflected in my everyday life, that they would see a kind, grace-filled, compassionate, caring, generous, patient, loving person. Not just my church Ami (on my best behavior) but the Ami who gets cut off in traffic, who has to wait in a long line, whose child is treated unfairly, who is attacked or wrongly accused. Who am I then?

I have to admit, I make mistakes! I don’t always handle these situations well. However, I am getting better when these situations arise and I will take time to pray, look up Scripture, and seek wise counsel (when I can) before I respond. This has been a huge help in keeping myself in check.

When I know that I have handled a situation poorly, I will ask God for forgiveness and I will go to others and apologize and ask for their forgiveness as well. Everyone makes mistakes and I try and learn from those mistakes and grow in my faith. Paul writes in Philippians 3:12, “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.” My desire as a Christian is to be more and more like Jesus every day.

This week I encourage you to think about how you would answer the question, “Who are you, Christian, and who does your life say you are?”

This forum is meant to foster discussion and allow for differing viewpoints to be explored with equal and respectful consideration.  All comments are moderated and any foul language or threatening/abusive comments will not be approved.  Users who engage in threatening or abusive comments which are physically harmful in nature will be reported to the authorities.

0 comments: