Deity

Posted by Worldview Warriors On Monday, April 9, 2012 0 comments


Most of the time when I write these blogs, I give you the Greek (or Hebrew) source of the word. This time, however, I’ll do something different - this week’s word is from the Latin! I do not know Latin, but my research indicates that the Latin word for “god” is deus, which is where we get our English word deity. The dictionary definition for deity is “a term for God or a god; also the quality of godlikeness or divinity.” That’s all fine and good, but what does that mean for you and me when we’re living our daily lives?

For me, that definition needs a clarification. I believe that there is only one God, the Triune God of the Bible. But, there are many other things in this world that we humans put before God, and these can be considered our deities because we give them “godlikeness” as the definition says. I’ve never been one to worship famous people, but there are many things that become my gods and distract me from the one true God. My deities could be little things like spending too much time on Facebook or Twitter rather than spending time with God, or big things like following my own ideas for life instead of God’s. I’m sure you can name at least a few things that can become your deity; if you can’t, please let me know your secret!

I currently teach Biblical Hebrew to one teenager, and he and I recently discussed this concept of putting other deities ahead of the Deity, the God of the Bible. He is currently translating and writing a paper on Exodus 20:1-7 (where we find some of the 10 commandments), and we discussed. the language and meaning of each verse. A literal translation of the Hebrew of verse 3 says, “It will not be for you another god upon my face.” As my student pointed out to me, the phrase “upon my face” reflects some neat imagery. When we have no other deities before the One Deity, we can clearly see His face. However, when another deity comes between us, it blocks our view of God’s face and we no longer see Him clearly. This is why God made this a commandment to us, because He loves us and wants us to be in full view of His beautiful face. My student compared this to seeing a gorgeous mural painted on a wall (that’s God), and then we come and hang an ugly old picture over top of it (whatever earthly deity we’re worshiping.) We no longer see the beauty of the mural, but our attention is drawn to the ugly picture instead. This is why our focus needs to be on the one, true, beautiful Deity - God Himself.

Take notice in your life of what deities you have been worshiping and admiring instead of God, the one true Deity. Ask God for forgiveness and the ability to see only His face, and to not lose focus on the things of this earth that we make into deities.

0 comments: